Saturday, September 17, 2005

Religion...!

Religion... Purpose... Myth... History... what does it bring to your mind... The other day I had a discussion with a friend of mine... He says that they have found traces of Dwarka which used to be the kingdom of Krishna.... then he quoted that there evidence that proves that there really exists a bridge between India and Sri Lanka that Rama had built with bare hands. This raised a question in his head... Is all the mythology that we read and hear a reality...? Did the gods actually Incarnate on earth in the forms of Rama Krishna and Parshurama... And then we went into a long discussion of all the different ways that we can prove that all this was a reality...

I am a person who doesn't believe in god... I am not exactly an atheist, but you can probably call me a polite atheist... I don't deny the existence of god but I don't believe in one either... But I do believe in religion... That's funny you would say... Let me explain… Religion I think was created by man… and for man… so what the religion tells us is very scientific… they were trying to tell us something… every religion tries to teach us how we can live our lives in a much better way…

People were ignorant then and it was probably necessary to tell them things in a way that can easily understand… so the wise men told them stories… now these stories could be real… they could be imaginary… there might be a man who crossed the ocean to save his wife… or there might be a big family feud in Kurukshetra… who knows… but if you actually read the Mahabharata, it is a beautiful creation… it is called a mahakavya… meaning the great poetry…

When I talk about religion I don’t mean only Hinduism… I mean all religions… and these religions are basically trying to tell us something… and instead of trying to understand what they are telling us we get into the truth of the story and silly things like breaking a mosque and building a temple… are we being Maryada purshottam Ram or following the quran when we fight over such things…?

1 comment:

Ann Dee said...

Hmm..true! Religion is perhaps one of the most intelligent creations of the human psyche.

We, Gen-X, consider ourselves the smartest. But think of the scholars, minus all the MBAs, PhDs in Psychology, Religious Studies et al, who have schemed the concept of 'RELIGION'. What leaves me jaw-slacked is the versatility and universal applicability of any religion - any religion for that matter.

Truly a pity to see the 'power' of religion getting misused. Wish all of us had used our sense of judgment, than let others interpret for us what 'speaks to our souls'.

Your writings make me brood a lot Nilotpal....keep the flow going..